MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The City of Morgantown is seeking a professional artist or team of professional artists to create a public work of art in the Woodburn neighborhood.
The mural will be located on an exterior brick wall of the Woodburn Community Complex, former Woodburn Elementary School and will measure approximately 32′ wide by 18′ high. The mural is a step towards the city’s goal of supporting arts and culture. According to the Woodburn Mural Project call for art, the city is also working with the Board of Parks and Recreation to design and install a new playground and park. The mural and park are part of a revitalization of the Woodburn neighborhood.
According to the call for artists, the city is looking for an artist who can work directly with young people and other players in the community in the design and implementation of the project.
Project finalists will be chosen in March and artists will be selected in May or June. Morgantown residents can expect to see the mural completed in the summer of 2022.
Main Street Morgantown has also commissioned several murals around the city, including three downtown murals in 2021.
According to submission of offers by the city, the budget for the commissioned project is $10,000, all inclusive. Interested artists must submit the following required documents:
- Work samples – Six digital images (preferred jpeg format)
- Caption sheet identifying each image by work title, medium, dimensions, dates, price (if applicable) and location. Image file names must match the caption sheet
- Curriculum vitae or CV
- Three references (including full names, titles, affiliations and contact details)
- Letter of interest (1-3 pages). Preference will be given to an expanded artist statement relating to this specific project
- Community Engagement Statement
Applicants may submit preliminary design ideas or concepts and up to three selections of representative printed materials along with required materials. Applicants must submit their documents by February 25. For more information, click on here.