A search committee has been formed to oversee the selection process for Virginia Tech’s next dean. College of Architecture, Arts and Design (AAD).
The new college dean will set academic content, promote diversity and breadth of disciplines across the AAL, and take a servant leadership approach to working with faculty, staff, and partners to build on strengths college fundamentals. This leader will also possess high emotional intelligence and skills as a facilitator, lead college fundraising efforts, and represent AAD at the university and beyond.
The new AAD Dean will replace Rosemary Blieszner, who had served as Acting Dean since August 2021, when Richard Blythe left Virginia Tech for a position at Curtin University in Perth, Western Australia.
Following a recent reorganization of the college and several of its programs, the new AAL Dean will have the opportunity to lead a college that provides greater visibility to arts, design and architecture programs of Virginia Tech by grouping them together and locating studio and performance-based instruction in a college. Through the collaborative efforts of college and university program managers as well as faculty and administrative staff from many areas of the university, the reorganization and realignment of programs has enabled AAD to partner more closely with like-minded disciplines. and improve their national visibility.
Alan Grant, Dean of Virginia Tech’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, will chair the search committee and guide the application/nomination, candidate review and interview, campus engagement, and finalist selection processes. The members of the search committee are:
- John Ambrosone, Associate Professor and Chair of Drama, School of Performing Arts
- Jackie Bixler, alumni Distinguished Professor of Spanish, Department of Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures
- Doug Bowman, professor of computer science and director of the Center for Human-Computer Interaction
- Jason Crafton, Associate Professor and Chair of Music, School of Performing Arts
- Eiman Elgewely, Assistant Professor of Interior Design, School of Design
- Michael Ermann, Professor of Architecture, School of Architecture
- Aki Ishida, Associate Professor of Architecture and Acting Associate Director, School of Architecture
- Devair Jeffries, Associate Director for Diversity and Academic Success, Center for the Arts at Virginia Tech
- Paul Kelsch, Associate Professor of Urban Design, School of Architecture
- Mintai Kim, Professor of Landscape Architecture, School of Design
- Ann-Marie Knoblauch, Associate Professor of Art History and Director, School of Visual Arts
- Jeffery Loeffert, music teacher and director, School of Performing Arts
- Shaila Mehra, Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, College of Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Erin Poff, Assistant Dean for Administration and Finance, College of Architecture, Arts and Design
- Michelle Raines, Administrative Manager, School of Performing Arts
- Liz Scharman, Director of Administration, Moss Arts Center
- Eric Standley, studio art teacher, School of Visual Arts
- Martha Sullivan, Associate Professor of Practice and Chair of Industrial Design, School of Design
- Sharone Tomer,– Associate Professor of Architecture, School of Architecture
- Rachel Weaver, Associate Professor of Creative Technologies, School of Visual Arts
The search committee will be supported by a staff that includes Amy Hogan, assistant provost for leadership initiatives, and Leslie Sullivan, coordinator for faculty affairs.
Virginia Tech has hired Parker Executive Search to assist with the process and is welcoming applications for the position. The job description, application/nomination process and research updates will be posted shortly and will be available on the Primary Admin Search Page of the Office of the Executive Vice President and Dean website.